Wednesday 22 April 2020

Garden Bears' World - Sonning at Work

We bears have taken it in turns to help in the garden.  It was my turn to help when it was time to plant some potatoes in the back garden vegetable plot.

When I went to collect the bear-sized tools from the greenhouse, I checked to see how Hanley Bear's bean was growing.  It was still not as tall as me.
Polar carried the potatoes to the bed where we were going to plant them.  She explained that they were an old variety called Highland Burgundy Red which have red skins and are pinky-red inside too.  We have tried them, and they make lovely fluffy roast potatoes.

I used Polar's bulb-planter to make holes in the ground for the potatoes.  We weren't planting them too deep, as Polar plans to 'earth up' using compost from the big heap she is making of chipped prunings.

I put one potato in each hole, then raked the soil back over the top.  They are deep enough to be safe from frost for now and Grizzly or Polar can check every day to see if there are any shoots showing through that need protecting.

There were ten potatoes to plant, which was hard work for a small bear.  When I had finished, it was time to play.  I was pleased to see that the calendula plants we had sown the seeds for last year were flowering.  Then I did some climbing and went to see the new leaves opening on the quince tree Polar bought last year.

There were lots more garden jobs for us to help with, but Polar noticed we were starting to get grubby bears and, as soon as it was warm enough, she said it would be time for our spring baths.

And the forecast was for a very warm day the next day!







No comments:

Post a Comment