Saturday 23 May 2020

Sonning goes Shopping

While the nasty virus is attacking humans, Polar and Grizzly are staying at home as much as possible and this means we are staying at home too.
Our day starts with us waking up in our Bear Basket, sometimes with the smell of porridge from the kitchen.  Then it's time for breakfast, a quick chat with our bear and animal friends on Twitter, and off to the front bedroom window to do #BearHunt duty, in case there are human cubs looking out for us.
We spend almost all day here, waving to human cubs and grown ups, like the postie people, Mr Matt the milkman and the dustbin guys.  We play 'I Spy' and, on Saturdays, Hanley Bear makes up exciting international football games and commentates on them.  Stoke City always win, of course!  
Polar or Grizzly bring us lunch and sometimes afternoon tea with biscuits, then we come downstairs for our tea and to watch programmes about animals, history, gardening or railways on the television.
The front garden is looking very colourful now, with lots of aquilegias in flower, so it is nice to look at.   The roses will be out soon too.  Polar says we can have a picnic on the lawn out there one day, which will be fun, especially if there are scones. 
Last week, however, I had a different sort of day.  Polar said she wanted a sensible bear to come with her to collect some shopping she had ordered.  Usually, a nice person from Morrisons delivers our shopping and we wave to them from our window, but something had gone wrong with Grizzly's order this week so Polar had booked a 'click and collect' instead.
I hadn't been out in the car for ages!  Polar put me in charge of the wet, very soapy cloth in the bag for wiping her hands between tasks, and asked me to remind her when to use it.
As we drove down the A34 road, we were following one of our favourite Great Bear lorries.  I waved and cheered, but I don't think the driver could see me.  I tried to take a picture of it with Polar's phone as it turned off for the industrial estate, but it is a bit blurry.
When we arrived at the supermarket, Polar drove to a special place in the car park and a man came out with a big crate of groceries.  He stepped back a long way, then Polar loaded them all into bags in the back of the car and stepped back a long way so the supermarket man could get his crate. 

I waved and said, 'Thank you, Mr Morrison!' but Polar explained he wasn't the shop owner and so that might not have been his name.

I reminded her to wipe her hands with the soapy cloth, and to do it again after we had bought some petrol.
When we got home, Polar washed her hands and helped me to wipe my paws, then she got another soapy cloth and wiped all the shopping, which I helped her to put away in the larder.  I like the larder, because it is where we keep all our tasty jam and chutney, and it's where the honey and stroopwafels are kept too.
Because I had been a helpful bear, Polar said I could have a run in the back garden for a little while, then have Elevenses with Grizzly.  It was very warm and sunny and the solar fountain was bubbling away very well. 
Soon it was time for #BearHunt duty again with the other bears and I could tell them about the Great Bear lorry and the treats there were in the shopping for us.  Hanley and Endon said they would like to go next time but Polar has managed to book deliveries for the next couple of weeks, so we will cheer and wave to the delivery person, and hope for other days out when it is safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment