Friday 1 March 2019

In Our Garden

It has been unusually sunny and mild here recently, and Polar and Grizzly's garden is looking very spring-like.  Last weekend, after helping our human guardians to do some tidying up in the borders, we enjoyed playing in the sunshine.
The snowdrops were still in flower and there were big clumps of cream and pink hellebores all around the lawn, looking very pretty.  Polar told us to be careful around them, as they have leaves with sharp edges.
Because it has been dry, we were able to run about on the lawn.  Last year, all this was covered in snow!
'We've cut the main trunk of the hazel tree back, to let more light into the greenhouse,' Polar told us.  'We've left a stump that should make a good climbing post for you bears.'

'Let's go and see!' cheered little Endon, who loves climbing things.
He hopped down the path and was soon scrambling up the post.  
'This is brilliant!' he called.  'Climb up and see for yourselves!'

Hanley and I don't climb as well as Endon.  The main trunk of the hazel stump was quite straight and I found it quite tricky to get a good grip.
 'Come on, pal!' said Hanley Bear, offering me his paw.  'And don't look down!'

With Hanley's help, I got up to a point where there was the remnant of another branch.  I felt very pleased with myself and looked down to see how far up I had climbed.  However, I shouldn't have done that, as it was quite a long way down, without any branches to catch if I slipped and it made me feel very dizzy.  Little Endon saw Polar was working in the vegetable patch and called her over to lift me down. 
'Poor little Sonning,' she said, carrying me up to the patio and sitting me next to some lovely crocuses.  'You're quite shaky, aren't you?  Sit here in the sunshine and calm yourself down.'

The smaller bears carried on climbing for a little while, until, suddenly, they heard a buzzard's mewing call high above them.

'Run, Endon, run!' shouted Hanley, and both small bears slid down the tree and ran up the path towards the house, before trying to hide in a tub of yellow crocuses.  I ducked down behind the pots next to me.

'What's wrong now, bears?' asked Grizzly, who was bringing a cup of tea out for Polar, when he saw us all cowering.

'There's a big, scary buzzard overhead,' I whispered.  'We're afraid it will swoop down and catch us!'

Grizzly reassured us that the buzzard wouldn't come into the garden and, even if it did, it wouldn't catch us, but we kept a sharp eye on the sky in case it came back.  I think we will enjoy playing in the garden a lot more when the leaves are on the trees and buzzards won't be able to see us running about. 





No comments:

Post a Comment