Wednesday 12 August 2020

Hanley Bear's End of Season Report

Ay up, fellow sports fans!  It's Hanley Bear here with a look back at the last few matches of Stoke City's season.

Last time I was writing, Stoke were trailing at Leeds.  Things got worse and worse that night and we lost that game very heavily, by five goals to nil, meaning that not only did we not get any points, our goal difference was suddenly very poor too.  This is the difference between the number of goals your team have scored and the number teams have scored against you, and can matter a lot if your team is in trouble, because it is used to decide your position in the league table if you have the same number of points as other teams.  It can be the difference between staying up and getting relegated!
But then, we started to do better.  We picked up three points by beating Birmingham City by two goals to nil, then got a one-all draw against Bristol City.  That result meant we were probably safe from relegation, which was a relief, although strange things can sometimes happen, especially if your team loses heavily again and there was a chance that we would with two tough matches still to go.

So I was glad I had my pals with me for the last couple of games, as even I didn't think we would score against Brentford - who were after an automatic promotion place - or Nottingham Forest, who were expecting to get into the 'play-offs' for promotion to the Premiership.
But Mr Michael O'Neill must have given the boys extra oatcakes and marmalade for the Brentford game, as we won it, by one goal to nil, thanks to a goal from Mr Lee Gregory.  Grizzly and I cheered and cheered, and so did Sonning and Endon, because those three points meant we were definitely safe.  

I did feel a tiny bit sad for Brentford's players, manager and fans, because that meant they wouldn't get automatically promoted, although it helped West Bromwich Albion to be, who used to be supported by our much-missed Twitter pal, Toddy Furrington.  Poor old Brentford lost the play-off finals to Fulham, so we'll be playing them again next season.
And then, in our last game, we beat Nottingham Forest by four goals to one!  They were very cross, because it messed up their goal-difference and that meant they wouldn't be in the play-offs after all.  I felt a little bit sorry for them too, but I was also very happy we got lots of goals because my favourite player, Mr James McClean, scored one of them.  He often sets up goals for other players, with crosses into the penalty area, but he doesn't get to score many himself.
And lots of the other fans agree with me about Mr James, because he was voted our Player of the Year.  Yay!

So Stoke finished fifteenth in the table, a long way away from the relegation zone.  In fact it's a shame the season ended when it did, because our lads suddenly seemed to find really good form just as everything was winding up.  

It is still a whole month until the season starts again, which seems ages when you are a small bear.  I hope it will be safe for Grizzly and I to go to watch matches again soon, as I think Mr Michael is going to manage us all the way back to the Premiership next season.  

I have my paws and claws crossed already!


No comments:

Post a Comment