Monday 30 March 2020

Garden Bears' World - A Trip to the Allotment

Last week, we bears had a serious chat about how we could help humans and human cubs while the coronavirus is causing them problems and worry.

The first thing we decided was that we had to be extra good bears, and help Polar and Grizzly at home, and not grumble about not being allowed to go for nice walks in the countryside.
Hanley and Endon said they would go on duty in an upstairs front window to wave at any human cubs being taken out for walks.  I was going to help them, but Polar said they would take one bear at a time on allotment trips, and were going that morning.
I jumped into the trug and brought a spare bottle of shower gel with me, to remind my human guardians to wash their hands after opening the gates at home and at the allotment.  Hanley and Endon waved from the window upstairs.  They looked very small.
It was sunny but quite cool at the allotment, which looks extra-smart, because Polar has been home to help Grizzly dig it over.  Down by the front fence, I was pleased to see the autumn-fruiting raspberries coming through.
In some of the beds, a plant called phaecelia is growing.  Polar says it is a 'green manure', which means it is grown to protect the soil and collect nutrients, then is dug back into the soil at the end of the winter.  Polar plans to let a couple of beds flower for the bees.  I saw a ladybird on one of the foxgloves too.
About halfway up the plot are the beds where the garlic and onions are growing.  The garlic has been in since the autumn and we planted the onions a week ago, and they all look very good.
There is now a nice small greenhouse on the allotment, built by Grizzly and Mr Steve the allotment man last autumn.  Polar plans to grow tomatoes and peppers and chillies in it, but it is empty for the moment.  I thought it would be a good place to sit and stay clean while Polar and Grizzly did their digging.
After a little while, I was very, very hot!  Even after taking off my hat and jumper, it was too warm for a furry creature in there!

'Come out and sit on the deckchair instead,' said Polar, and Grizzly gave me a drink of water.
I enjoyed sitting in the sunshine but didn't want to be a lazy bear, while Polar and Grizzly were working hard.  But I didn't want to get muddy paws either, because it is still rather cold for a proper bear bath.
'Perhaps I could gather up some weeds if I borrowed Polar's gardening gloves?' I thought, but they were far too big for me to use.  Polar and Grizzly laughed when they saw me wearing them.  Polar picked me up and carried me back to the deckchair.
'You enjoy the sunshine, little bear,' she said.  'We're almost done here.  You can help us plant potatoes in a week or so, or the broad beans.  We only brought you out so you could have a change of scene.  We know you're missing Uppie and going boating.'

That was very true.  I miss our boat very much indeed, as do all the bears, and our human guardians.
When they had finished digging, I went to have a look.  The beds were clear of weeds and all ready for planting the second early potatoes when it is a little warmer.  Yay!
Polar was cross, because she had found some old potatoes where she was digging.  She says you shouldn't grow the same crops on the same site two years running, so you don't encourage diseases, but she is trying out a new crop rotation system and, to get it started, will have to grow potatoes in the same place twice, just this once.

The old potatoes were big 'Pink Fir Apple' ones and were in good shape, so when we got home, and the small bears came back downstairs, we had them with veggie sausages for tea!






No comments:

Post a Comment