Sunday 16 February 2020

Signs of Spring

There have been nasty storms this weekend, so I hope all of you are safe, well and dry.
Before the storm arrived, I decided to join Polar and Grizzly in the garden, tidying things up to make sure there was as little damage as possible.  It was already getting windy, so the smaller bears stayed indoors where it was warm, and I put my warmest jumper on.
There are hundreds of snowdrops in the garden, some in the beds and some in pots.  Polar explained that all of them had grown from one little clump at the far end of the garden, which she has been splitting and replanting every spring.
The hellebores are all flowering too.  I think they are beautiful.  We small bears are just the right height to see their flowers properly, as they tend to hang down, meaning that our human guardians only see the tops of them but we can see the lovely speckles and stamens inside.
The Christmas Box is flowering too.  That's one of my favourite shrubs, as it smells really nice.  I like to sit in it and look across the herb garden.  Polar says we can plant some of our bee and butterfly seed bombs in the border by the fence behind them, as that catches the sun first thing in the morning.
Polar and Grizzly were moving all the plant pots into places where they wouldn't be blown over.  They were too heavy for me to move but I helped by checking between the pots for frogs and toads, to make sure we didn't disturb any hibernating creatures.
Then I went past the flower beds to the ponds, to see if there was any frogspawn in them yet.  I couldn't see any and I didn't see or hear any frogs or toads, but I'm sure they will be about soon.
Grizzly was busy sweeping up in the vegetable plot and Polar was staking the broccoli plants, hoping they wouldn't be blown over.  If they fall down, the pigeons peck the leaves.
They can't peck the rhubarb chard - Polar is still looking after that in the greenhouse, ready to plant out when the really bad weather has passed.  I'm looking forward to getting my little spade out to help and I'm sure Hanley and Endon will want to help too, as we all love gardening.

Hope all your gardens stay safe in the storms!

No comments:

Post a Comment