Friday 24 January 2020

Hanley Bear, Sports Reporter

Ay up, everyone!  My name is Hanley and I'm Sonning's pal from Stoke-on-Trent.  I love my home city and the green and gorgeous Staffordshire countryside around it but, more than any of that, I love my football team, Stoke City, the Mighty Potters!
I'm a lucky small bear because my human guardian Grizzly has a Stoke City season ticket.  He and his pals, Mr Andy and Mr Steve, go to most of the home games and they take me with them.  Grizzly carries me into the game tucked inside his coat with just my head sticking out and, as we pass them to get to our seats, some of the supporters near them pat my head for luck.  I also get pats and my paw shaken when we score goals, if we win or even if we manage a draw against a very tough side.
 Stoke used to be in the Premiership but are a Championship side now, just outside the relegation zone.  This makes every game extra important and there are more games than usual over Christmas.  We were bottom of the table for a long time, until we got a new manager, Mr Michael O'Neill.  I think he might be following my training and diet advice for the squad, and feeding them oatcakes and marmalade, as they have been playing better since he took over.  
On Boxing Day, I went to a home game with Grizzly, against Sheffield Wednesday.  It was one of the most exciting games ever!  We scored the first goal and were ahead at half-time, but they scored after the break and then again with not long to play, taking the lead.  Just as I started to think we might lose, we got another goal!  I cheered and cheered, and had only just stopped cheering when we scored again, right at the end of extra time.  I leapt out of Grizzly's coat and jumped about with all the other fans.  We had won!  We all stayed to applaud our players and manager as they walked around the field to thank us for our support, and I got lots of hugs and pats for being such a good lucky mascot bear.
Only a few days later, Grizzly and I were at another match.  This was my first away game, at Fulham, and we had the other bears, Polar and some of Grizzly's family with us too.  

We liked the ground at Craven Cottage, which is right beside the Thames.  All the Stoke fans stood up and were singing and shouting for almost the whole game, but Fulham scored the first and only goal, so they won. 
After that, we had an away game at Huddersfield on New Year's Day.  When we're at home, Grizzly and I listen to away games on the radio, but because we were staying with his grandcubs, we were busy doing other things and missed it, which was a shame as Stoke won by five goals to two.
Photo:
Then we had a home game against Millwall.  Before the game, Grizzly and I went with Polar and Mr Andy for a curry at Mrs Shug's stall in Stoke Market, which was more exciting than being at the match as there were no goals, but at least we got a point.  But on Monday, we beat West Brom, who are top of the league, in an exciting away game, which Grizzly and I listened to on the radio in his workshop, while we made buildings for his model railway.  
 Mr Tyrese Campbell, who is one of our best young players, scored the only goal but picked up an injury soon afterwards, or we might have scored more.  Grizzly and I hope he will be well enough to play tomorrow, when we play Swansea at home, and we will be watching.  

Come on you Mighty Potters!  Yaaaayyyy!

Update from Hanley Bear, 25th January 2019:

"And it's another famous victory for the Potters - a 2:0 win over Swansea today.  Go on, Stoke!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment