Tuesday 2 July 2019

Building a Bug Hotel

We bears have been on holiday and I will have lots to tell you about an amazing narrowboat journey around the Cheshire Ring soon, but before we went away, we found something new in the garden.
Endon found something that he thought was a little house behind Polar's cold frame.  He wondered if it was a little house - for the smaller bears!
'I'm sure Grizzly means it to be a nice surprise for us,' he explained, when he told Hanley and I about the building.  'But I don't want to have to live in the garden - I like our bear basket in the house!'

Hanley and I came with him to investigate.
'It's the right size to be a bear house, alright!'  said Hanley.  He didn't look pleased. 

'It's not high enough for me,' I told the smaller bears.  'And I'm sure Polar and Grizzly wouldn't want to split us up.'
But the smaller bears were still worried that they were going to have to live outdoors.  'Maybe Polar and Grizzly find having three bears indoors too much trouble,' said Hanley.  'As you were the first bear they adopted, maybe you're allowed to stay in the bear basket?'

'That wouldn't be fair!' I said.  'I'm sure that isn't the idea at all.  Polar and Grizzly are our friends and human guardians.  Here comes Grizzly, with some more wood.  Let's ask him!'

As Grizzly came towards us, the smaller bears gave him hard stares.
'Hello bears!' he said, not seeming to notice the hard stares.  'I see you've found the Bug Hotel.  Would you like to help me find things to put in it, to make homes for insects?'

'For insects?' asked Hanley.  'We thought it was for small bears!'
We were so happy that we were all going to stay living indoors that we gladly helped Grizzly find sticks and straw and logs to go in the bug hotel.  We still have to find more things to fill up all the spaces but we hope they will like what we have put in so far.  
There was just time for the smaller bears to do some climbing before it was time for tea and then an early bedtime, as we were starting our boat adventure the very next day!




No comments:

Post a Comment