Saturday 25 August 2018

From our Furry Correspondent

Hello Everyone!
I've had a little break from writing my blog because I have been a very busy bear helping Polar with work things, along with Hanley and Endon.  I have also written another article for the newsletter of our local Inland Waterways Association branch (North Staffordshire and South Cheshire) about my adventures last year.
I have written five articles now: one about how I was found, one about the first lock I went through, one about our scary journey on the tidal Thames, one about the Grand Union Canal and, my latest one which isn't published yet, about our journey along the Aylesbury Arm.  Mr Roger, who edits the magazine, is very pleased with me as I always get my articles to him well before the press day deadline, which the naughty human writers often don't! 

You can read earlier newsletters (and my other articles) online here: https://www.waterways.org.uk/staffscheshire/knobsticks

Our newsletter is called Knobsticks.  This confuses a lot of people because a knobstick is usually either a big stick for fighting with or someone who goes to work when their colleagues are on strike, which are not very good things to name a magazine after!  However, my human guardian Polar (I call her that because she has white fur and is very big and strong) explained that knobsticks is also a special style of painted canal rose from this area, like the ones in this picture.
They look more like real garden roses than the usual folky ones painted on boats and boat things, like Polar paints for her craft stalls.

Because I have been a good bear, I have been allowed to have a Twitter account.  This has been great fun, because I have been able to make friends with other small bears and animals all over the world, as well as lots of 'anipals' in the UK.  I have lots of new bear friends across Great Britain and others in the Netherlands, Canada and the USA, Norway and Australia.  Bear Twitter is nicer than human Twitter because bears are much more polite to each other, even if they disagree about things.  My bear friends include Henry, who does a very wise daily 'Nowtiss Board' encouraging us all to be better, kinder bears, and Toddy Furrington who is a very distinguished bear who teaches anipals how to fly with #TheAviators. 
As you can see, Hanley Bear has done his basic training and is now an aviator!


There are other lovely bears, otters, sheep, dogs, cats and geckos I haven't mentioned, who are all very kind, although one or two of the beers seem to drink quite a lot of beer (you know who you are!).  The Teddy, who lives in America, even wrote a story about Hanley, Endon and me.  You can read it here:

Sometimes they arrange to meet each other and have adventures together, which looks like lots of fun.  Maybe I will visit some of them one day, or they will come to see me and my 'hug' (which is what groups of small bears and anipals call themselves)?  In the meantime, I can tell them about life in Stoke-on-Trent and read about their adventures.  

My best bear buddies are still those I live with, Hanley Bear and little Endon, and we are still gardening, helping Polar at work, playing and having small bear adventures, so I have plenty more things to blog about and will write again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment